Monday, March 2, 2009

recently I was asking, What does the rest of February have in store? And the 28th turned out to be one of my favorite days of the month. The weather was sunny and beautiful after a week of rain and depression. I biked to Kyoto, met my friend Danielle for lunch, ate delicious thai food, met our friend Machiko, went to the river, took off my shoes and socks, sat in the sun for a bit, met our friend Jason, formed a bike gang, went to Daimonji, climbed the mountain, talked about meaningful and meaningless things, looked at the view, got our shoes muddy, came down the mountain. Then the dynamic totally shifted.

I rode my bike to the middle of the city and met my friend Allie, a great friend from high school who is studying abroad about 30 minutes away from Kyoto. She and I met up with Seanacey, Kojiro, and Mamu, my friends from tea ceremony. The 5 of us went to a concert at a curry udon restaurant. The restuarant is owned by a guy who goes by Master and the concert was 3 Australians playing "experimental music" that I had met the week before with Seanacey and Kojiro. This story is really tangled and I don't really want to get into it right now. But the show was amazing. Before the Australians played, two Japanese guys played. The second one also played "experimental music" but the first one was ridiculous. he was playing a Swiss instrument called a hang. It is sort of like a cross between a steel drum and a tabla, but sounds like water. Watching this guy play his hang was one of the most beautiful things I had seen in a while. After the show, we chatted with the musicians and with Master for a while, and then I biked home.

Yesterday, Sunday March 1 was a high school day. Today was Monday, tomorrow is Tuesday, Wednesday is Taiko, and Thursday is the start of the three day all AKP spring field trip. We are going to Wakayma and to Ise. I am pretty excited to do everything we are doing, and I am excited to observe all AKP interacting together, but I am not excited to participate with all AKP interacting together.

No comments: