Saturday, December 13, 2008

to-do

The things I do with Kendall are the stories that I like telling the most. On Friday night, she and I spontaneously decided to climb Daimonji. This is a mountain to the east of Kyoto with a huge 'dai' character 大 built into the hill face. Every year in the summer, there is a huge festival where they burn lamps within the character, lighting it up/on fire. The hike was short and easy, and the moon was full and huge and bright. We sat in the middle of the character, at the point where all the lines intersect, and we watched the glow of the city lights beneath us. I wrote this poem:

Daimonji at night
The full moon shines bright above
The city below

We brought some snacks and some sake, and when we went back to the city we went to a cafe that had surprisingly great falafel. 

This was probably the best way possible to celebrate the end of classes for the semester. They were something of a joke, and finishing my final projects and stuff was time consuming but I actually produced work I am (somewhat) proud of. This week I have finals for my Japanese class but I am not too worried about those either. 

I have been thinking a lot about many things, none of which I am in the presence of mind to write about here. But here is a list of things I would want to write something about: 

old/new
trees
time and place
when and where?
old people who want to be young
young people who want to be old
how little kids don't know anything
how little kids know way more than anybody
late autumn, just before early winter
early winter, just after late autumn
Sakyamuni Buddha
one life/many lives
the very hungry caterpillar
being a tourist
being a permanent resident
permanence?
the body as a portal
brains
beards
seasonal activities
things that happen once, ever
eyes
ears
how trees have eyes and ears
colors
inside/outside
absolute energy
amoebas
cities
amoebas that build cities
bicycles
memory as dream
the ocean
mountains
the desert

No comments: