Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lost! ....lost?

When I am with my friends I tend to be Hurley. Not really a leader, pretty much just going with the flow, very easy going and laid back. 

When I am at taiko I am Locke. I know what I am doing, or at least I know what I am supposed to be doing. At times it is difficult, sometimes exhausting, but no one can stand in my way of my mission. There is no rational explanation, but I feel it is the absolute right thing to be doing. 

Most of the time, walking around, with my homestay parents, I am Sun/Jin (or else everyone around me is Sun/Jin). How can I learn to speak the same language? What is the process of communication?

I think in some ways it was very Kate of me to come to Japan at all. What was I afraid of at UCLA, or at Whitman? Why has it been so important to me to keep running? 

I don't think I am ever Jack, but I don't think thats a bad thing. Occasionally I do have moments of true, genuine leadership, but in these moments, I never forget that I'm not just their leader, I'm also one of them. 

Very frequently I am Desmond. It's hard to stay in the present moment. Very frequently I see something and I am suddenly somewhere else, in a different place, in a different time, in the past, or the future. This seems natural. 

When I first got here I felt a bit like Charlie. But now I have adjusted to island life, and if the moment ever comes when I find a plane full of Virgin Mary statues, I too will chuck them all into the sea. 


3 comments:

Just Potential Energy said...

were you afraid at ucla or whitman?
i think the more appropriate question is: did you find what you were looking for?

part-time punk said...

oh david. i like these thoughts a lot.

Teo said...

Oh man. I'm sorry I haven't read in a while, I've been pretty busy. Locke does what he thinks he should be doing but sometimes does the opposite just to be sure he was right (don't push the button). Yes, Lost is Lost.